Skinpress Demo Rss

Adam Lambert Interview with inthenews UK

Filed Under (, ) by Admin on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Posted at : Wednesday, April 28, 2010



American Idol might be one of the biggest television shows on the planet but, Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson and Jordin Sparks aside, the majority of its most famous contestants have made little impression on the charts this side of the Atlantic.

All that's set to change with the arrival of Adam Lambert, one of the most talented - and certainly the most flamboyant - singers to ever grace the Idol stage. Having wowed Simon Cowell and the judges with his renditions of songs by the likes of Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, Lambert may have finished second to Kris Allen on season eight of the talent show, but it's his glam poprock style that abides.

After a headline-grabbing performance at the American Music Awards and an order to "swish it up" from Glee's terrifying cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester, Lambert arrives in the UK for our entertainment, with an album featuring writers as diverse as Lady GaGa, Weezer's Rivers Cuomo and the Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins.

Ahead of the release of his debut album, Lambert tells Lewis Bazley about US conservatives, visions of Simon Cowell and being single and ready to mingle.

You'd done a lot of musical theatre before American Idol, working as an understudy on Wicked, for example. Had you not signed up for the biggest show in America, would you have stayed on the stage?

Most likely, that's probably what I'd be doing to pay the bills. That's what it had turned into by the time I was 25. I love the art of entertaining, this is what I've grown up doing and what I know, and I'd started a career in that business, I joined the union, got the health benefits… but when I was about 25, I was starting to get more and more interested in making own music as an artist. I think I would have continued to make more of my own original music while still doing theatre.

Is it true that your decision to join the show was influenced by taking some illicit substances at the Burning Man festival?

Yeah, Rolling Stone took a little poetic licence with the timeline there! [laughs] It wasn't like I was tripping and thinking about Simon Cowell! It was more that I was at Burning Man and had an epiphany where I knew what I was supposed to be doing with my life, that I needed to create my own opportunities, to go after my dreams as opposed to waiting for them to come to me. When I got back, I started putting my eggs in different baskets, working on more music and American Idol just came up in conversation so I thought I should audition.


What do you think about those kinds of shows as a whole? Do they just create copycat singers or are they a really good platform?

I think it depends on the artist going into it, how you utilise the situation. I'm really thankful for it because I think it's a platform - I don't think I would have got signed onto a label without American Idol, I can almost guarantee you I wouldn't. I've been told I'm the first openly gay singer on a major American label and that's proof right there - being as comfortable with my sexuality as I am, as left of centre, I can guarantee that a major label, probably run by a middle-aged man, wouldn't have seen me as someone they'd want to put a ton of money into.

So were you surprised by how well you did on the show?

Yeah! I was completely surprised. I don't think they knew whether or not I was openly gay, I don't think it was ever confirmed. Which is funny to me, because I'm like… I didn't do anything to hide it, or lie, I just didn't talk about it because it didn't come up and it's irrelevant, it's a singing competition. It wasn't like I was going to sing Whole Lotta Love and then during judges' comments say "Oh, by the way, I'm gay!" [laughs]

Do you care that you didn't win American Idol?

No, I don't think it would've made much of a difference to where I'm at right now. It's an opportunity, and it depends on what you do with it, and winning first or second place has no bearing on the fact that you're on this major platform.

You've got your debut album coming out here in a couple of weeks, with some frankly amazing pop songwriters on it, including Lady GaGa, Pink, Dr Luke.. but there are some really surprising writers on there too, such as Matt Bellamy from Muse. That must be incredible for you, such a high calibre of collaborators for a new artist?

It really blew my mind the first time I looked at the roster, I'm just flattered and humbled. I can't believe these people have the faith in me to sing their music, and that gave me a great deal of validation for the project.

Were you aware of the Darkness' Justin Hawkins, another writer on the album?

Yeah! I think the thing about the Darkness and Justin is that they were total kitsch, total camp. And camp is something that can be very misinterpreted or missed in general, sometimes people just don't get that what you're doing is intentional. And I've learnt that the hard way...

We're talking about the controversy of your performance at the American Music Awards, during which you kissed one of your male band members. I'd say British viewers weren't that surprised at the US reaction, knowing of the conservative views in much of the country. But was it frustrating because you kissed the females on stage too?

There was just as much groping of women! [laughs] I just felt frustrated because I've seen women and straight guys do raunchy stuff on stage for year and then I was scapegoated because I was the gay guy doing it. Just to make it even potent [for viewers], I'm the guy from American Idol that you guys all thought one thing of, so there was an element of surprise as well.

You must have expected some kind of response...

I didn't expect it to be as big of a deal as it was but in hindsight I'm glad it went down the way it did because it facilitated a conversation about the double standards.

Did it show there are backwards attitudes in the US?

Yeah, there a lot of backwards attitudes. I'm fortunate to have grown up in southern California where it's a little more liberal. But I have a lot of friends that are from areas in the US - middle America, the south, some areas in the north - that are really conservative and really just not ready for that kind of stuff. [laughs] It's a slow and steady battle to progress.

Talking of your sexuality, camp - have you seen the 'Sneaky Gays' promotional clip for Glee, that referenced you?

I loved it, it was so funny! I actually saw Jane Lynch (Glee's Sue Sylvester) recently and told her 'thank you so much, I really enjoyed it'.

Is it a show you'd like to be involved with?

Possibly, yeah! If it were the right role or project, yeah.

While you're very well known in the US, how do you think the single will do with your lower profile in the UK?

I hope it does well! [laughs] In some ways, I think that the fact that I'm not as well known here might help because the American Idol thing breeds a certain kind of expectation of a certain time of artistry and marketing. Coming over here, to the other side of the pond, we don't have to follow the same formula, it's like starting afresh. And that's exciting!

You must be delighted with the level you've reached and your success but I'm guessing you're so busy you have no time for personal life?

[Sadly] No! How would I date somebody right now though? I don't know how it would be done! But I'm definitely single and I… have been known to mingle [laughs]. So I'm not dead! I don't think it'd be fair to the other person or myself.

By Lewis Bazley.

Adam Lambert's debut album For Your Entertainment is released on May 3rd.

SOURCE

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

UK LOVES ADAM SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH

Anonymous said...

I think Adam regrets talking about drugs during the Rolling Stone interview. Now it's coming back to haunt him. Momadam was right. He should have left it out.

Anonymous said...

most young people try drugs its all part of growing up.......i took acid back in the 70s never did me any harm!!! i am still here and it was a great experience,i certainly have no regrets doing acid, speed or dope, alchol is FAR MORE DANGEROUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Adam should move out of the US since he feels we are so backward and intolerant of him. I'm sick of him putting down our morals.

Anonymous said...

its NOT just Adam that feels the USA is Backward,Outdated,Old fashioned Conservative,Bigotted,Homophobic,the whole world can see it!!!!! since supporting and loving Adam i am SHOCKED at the WAY the US treats Gays like they have some terrible disease
YES ADAM PLEASE COME AND LIVE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM SO YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE AS YOU PLEASE,WHAT THE FUCK HAS ANYONES SEXUALITY GOT TO DO WITH ANYONE, YOU WILL BE FREE TO LIVE YOUR LIFE WITHOUT FEAR IN THE UK and EUROPE
THIS IS THE YEAR 2010 NOT THE MIDDLE AGES????????????????????????????
i always thought America was ahead and streetwise but it is so NOT
AMERICA DOES NOT DESERVE ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just imagine how sick he is of hearing people put him down if you get sick of it after a few interviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! peopele can be so heartless

Anonymous said...

anon..........stupid bitch with stupid remarks !!!!!
no wonder Beautiful Person Adam LOVES the UK so Much,the doors are open anytime you want to come Adam bring your family too youre all welcome in the UK xxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

should have said anon. 8.07.........stupid bitch with stupid remarks !!!!!
no wonder Beautiful Person Adam LOVES the UK so Much,the doors are open anytime you want to come Adam bring your family too youre all welcome in the UK xxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

hey anon 8.06
whatya want from ADAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i can,t believe you sent that message
why are you on this 24/7 site with comments like that .....goodbye former Adam Fan!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

anony 8.06 yeah and we are sick of people like you putting down Adam!! if you dont have anything sensible to say then why bother with that crap remark !!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

since Adam's AMA,s performance and his Amazing and Very Succesful International Tour,our eyes have been opened to the Hostile Attitude America has towards Gay people,i have been very shocked and hurt at the terrible things that have been said about Adam just because he is gay,and it is no good any americans saying theres bigots everywhere in this world,this is the way the world sees your country!! i just hope Adam has plenty of security on his very busy Glamnation tour as i worry about Adam's safety!in america !!
Adam please feel free to live anywhere in Europe so you can be totally free and be yourself without fear!!! Love you so much

Anonymous said...

As much as I suspect Adam would love to live in the UK where there is more acceptance of individuality and diversity, we need him in the US. It is the who that he is and how he presents himself with class, intelligence and humor that will help break down some of the prejudice, barriers and hate. America needs Adam for more than just his talent and mastery of performance. But wherever he decides to hang his hat, he will continue to be loved worldwide. He will continue to bring important conversation to the table. As Adam says - "Love overcomes hate. Love has no color. Love has no orientation. All is love." Now, there's a human being to be respected.

Anonymous said...

Adam is teaching the whole world by his beautiful charisma,i really hope things can change in the US as its all so negative!! look how much FUN Adam is having on his international travels and how Adam is filling peoples lives with Love and Happiness,its such a beautiful feeling loving Adam the best tonic any doctor could give
who needs anti depressants a daily fix of Adam is all we need
love adam so much x

Anonymous said...

to anon 8:07- are you looking for attention?? i am sure you know your country well about your tolerance on gay people. i live in australia but we don't descriminate . adam was well accepted here when he visited.

Anonymous said...

hey fans, time poll is now finished, adam is no. 6. now we have more time to vote for him on vh1 countdown, please make the WWFM original as no. 1 to avoid contradiction of our votes.

Anonymous said...

Adam is a remarkable man. He has captured the world with his honesty and music. And, most importantly, he has brought a great deal of attention to the discrimination against the gay community in the US. This was certainly not his intention as all he wanted to do was make music. Yes, American isn't perfect, and we have issues. But who doesn't. As Adam points out, it is getting better. The prejudice will never be gone, but people like Harvey Milk, Barney Frank, Adam Lambert and many many others are helping. It's not what people do in bed, it's about intelligence, integrity, honesty, kindness, humility and tolerance.

Anonymous said...

Right on Anon 10:09!

Anonymous said...

I’m glad he is speaking out in support of equal right in the US. You can love the US and still be critical of laws that deny people rights. It is the access to FREE SPEECH and legal redress that makes the US so great. It’s Adam’s exercise of speech and dissent that should evoke pride in Americans!

Anonymous said...

I am American and straight and so very proud of Adam Lambert.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone EXCEPT the BIGOTED Anon. 8:07 ......... ADAM is RIGHT!! America still lives in the dark ages when brother fought against brother in the Civil War ... the most SHAMEFUL war America has ever fought. We keep making progress one step at a time. ADAM has opened a lot of eyes & hearts with his struggle to be a PERFORMER. He is met with barbs & slurs on EVERY message board on the internet because he DARES to be himself OPENLY. ADAM should be APPLAUDED & EMBRACED ... NOT "BASHED"! I LOVE this fine young man not only for his TALENT but also for his TENACITY in the face of ADVERSITY!!

anon 8:07 said...

I'm not bashing Adam. I am a fan and want him to be happy and have only the best of life. That would be anywhere in the world except the US.

Anonymous said...

WHY should he have to LEAVE the US in order to achieve HAPPINESS? Why not walk a mile in ADAM's shoes before criticizing him for his lifestyle? It is NO fault of his that he was BORN that way. We are none of us PERFECT and before judging a person we should first try to see their point of view. There is too much CLOSE-MINDEDNESS in the US & NOT just related to sexual orientation. We need to UNITE with NOT SEPARATE from each other. We are all HUMAN!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Eeryone,Love Adam if you have not already seen the Mybliss interview with Adam please go and watch,Adam is so funny,
WHAT CAN YOU NOT LOVE ABOUT THIS VERY BEAUTIFUL MAN,HE'S AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US,
i laughed so much watching this interveiw
Loving the Lambert UK GLAMBERT x

Anonymous said...

Adam isn't going anywhere. WE LOVE him in America. Anon 8:07 how about YOU get a life. YOU are NOT wanted here!

~TK~

Anonymous said...

Sad to see such hateful Adam fans. If you hate America so much why don't you go live in the UK. And by the way the UK is not the safest place for Adam with huge Pakistani and Arab populations that hate Gay, Jewish, Americans. I fear for Adam's life over in the UK, Holland, Sweden etc. Let's hope they don't cut off his ear in Holland or murder him as they murdered Van Gogh's relative. You all are painfully unaware of how racist other nations are. In France arabs boast "have you got your Jew yet?" They mean have you killed one yet. We don't hear that here because our media shields us from the horrors of international atrocities because they just want to bash the US. I'd rather live here than any place in the world. Obviously you all who hate America so much have not traveled much. Wake up!

Anonymous said...

anon.. 8.35am what a silly childish message adams hateful fans!! (media shields us!! what a joke!!) were you born yesterday!!
america does not sheild you they just tell you what they want you to know!!!
like with global warming and not the real facts!! your very polluted country under BUSH,now your massive oil spill thats set to become the worst ever!!
if you want to blame anyone try blaming your vile News reports,
when adam has been on his VERY successful International tour did the american press report all the Talent love and happiness adam has spread NO they didnot as i did lots of searches and all i found were remarks regarding the glittery pants at the mardi gras,
you should WAKE UP....
some of you americans dont like the fact that ADam has said he would love to live in London!!
so its now turning into USA v UK,
have you ever been to the UK? I think not!!
why do you think adam didnot win American Idol !! wake up sister!

Anonymous said...

Yes I have been to the UK several times. Went to school there. Not against the UK just not liking the haters of the US. We have our issues as all countries do. I am sad to see to many of your countrymen having to flee because all of the goods and services you pay for in taxes are going to immigrants and not you. We have the same issue here and it just is.

As for the oil spill I blame our government wanting this to be a bad spill and not getting the military in sooner to clean this thing up. The left just wants it to be a huge spill so we won't ever drill our own resources so we remain stuck using foreign oil. It's wouldn't surprise me if this well was sabotage just when Obama is getting ok with drilling locally.

It's sad Adam does not get the press here he should. It sucks but I am grateful he has started a lot of discussion here and opening so many more hearts towards alternative lifestyles. I thinks all the success he has had over the pond has really helped his popularity here. It has been a wake-up call. Woo Hoo!

Anonymous said...

Love and Light to all USA, UK and Fans from all around the world for loving the wonderful talented ADAM LAMBERT,now i am off to watch that live GMTV for your entertainment video cause i LOVE it and Adore Adam stunning LOOK

Anonymous said...

I was raised a very strong christian in USA and I accept Adam and everything he does for WHO HE IS. If we are his fans, can we not adopt his outlook and just love each other and appreciate him and take in every moment we can of his beautiful voice and gift he is giving us? Come on poeple.....does it really matter where we live USA or Europe.....we should all be glamily

Anonymous said...

This is starting to become a tug of war as to where Adam should live and which country is better. Don't think Adam would want that devisesness. I love my country,warts and all, as I'm sure the UK people loves their country. No one wants their country bashed. Iwas so happy that Adam was so welcomed in the UK and also that the UK had the opportunity to see this beautiful man. I felt a kinship with people all over the world that had a common love for an exceptional man. I'm sad that it is turning in to something else. Hope we can get back to peace and respect. funbunn40

Anonymous said...

Hi funbunn,yes love and light everyone,lets enjoy where Adam is at in his fast rise to becoming an INTERNATIONAL STAR.
Adam is having the time of his life,travelling around from country to country promoting his Album,then he has a Huge GLAMNATION TOUR in the summer,Adam is so happy and so should we be wherever we are in the world.
I live on the Isle of Wight in the UK and i am enjoying Adams visits to our shores,also i am excited for the US Adams Glamnation Tour and really looking forward to 24/7 showing videos pics etc,to us all around the planet.
lets have FUN watching the man we LOVE have Fun becoming a massive STAR,love and light UK Glambrit

Anonymous said...

Love is not possessive or jealous. Adam needs to choose what is best for himself, and we need to support him. That's what love is all about.

Anonymous said...

Well said, UK Glambrit! I'm all for having fun watching our superstar travel the world, meeting new fans, starting the Glamnation Tour, acheiving his dreams and giving all of us his incredible talent and lovable personality! funbunn40