Skinpress Demo Rss

Adam Lambert Interview with teen magazine Miss Mix

Filed Under (, ) by Admin on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Posted at : Wednesday, April 28, 2010

This is the May 2010 issue. All credit goes to Hand for translating this interview and providing the scans.




Adam Lambert: My mom dragged me out of closet

Miss Mix met Adam Lambert, 29, in Stockholm and lead him to ultimate questions. Mellow singer is waiting to get visit in Finland.

About the career:

What is the most personal song on your album?
- Broken Open. It's about intimacy, that moment when someone is ready to release the wall around them and show himself to other, show good and bad side of him. The other says it's okay, I accept you just the way you are.

Did you find writing process of the song hard for you?
- No, it felt good. It was like therapy.

There's a song called Voodoo on the new version of your album. Who would you like to make a voodoo doll and why?
- Bill Kaulitz from Tokio Hotel! He's so cute, so beautiful.

Wait, are you jealous of him, why are you thinking of making a doll?
- No, the opposite. He attracts me, he's so appealing. I would like to meet him. I would like to go shopping with him!

You just came here from Germany. Why didn't your meeting take place then?
- He's busy. And straight. That's why the doll, hehe!

Has anyone of your friends started to act differently after you became famous?
- A few of my friends were scared I would draw myself away from them. I had to convince them that wouldn't happen and I still love them even though I am busy. Some of buddies - not my friends - wanted suddenly be so close with me. Didn't work out!

About love:

Who was your first love?
- My ex boyfriend, we started dating when I was 25 years old. It was awesome and beautiful. We were together for two years.

Why did you break up?
- I guess we just grew apart. In the end we wanted different things. I learnt and grew up so much during our relationship. We're still friends and I think that's great.

How did you manage to accept your sexuality when you were young?
- It was hard during my teen years. I had no one to look up to. I didn't know anyone else that was gay, not a single one person. Internet did exist but there was no Facebook or MySpace yet. There were some chats but I was afraid of them like pestilence, I was afraid of losing my anonymity and someone would find out. I felt myself like an alien, totally different from the others. I knew that things will work out when it's time but at school I couldn't talk about it to anyone.

When and how did you tell your parents?
- My mom dragged me out of closet! She asked me once if I had a girlfriend. I said no. "Would you like to get one?" "No." "Well do you have a boyfriend?" "No." "Would you like to have?" "Yeah!"

Well that was easy.
- While discussing about it my mom told me she always had known I was gay. I wondered why didn't she tell me sooner. She had talked about it with some people and they had convinced her she shouldn't push me. They said I would tell her when I was ready. I said her you should have pushed!

What kind of advice would you give to our readers that are wondering their sexual orientation?
- It's hard to be different. If you feel like lonely believe there are a lot of people like you in the world. Some day you will get to know them and you will accepted. Try to think positive. If people think of you negative don't care about them. Their opinion doesn't matter.

What kind of person are you in your relationships?
- I am independent. I've always succeeded on my own. Sort of, that was the reason I was lonely for a long time. If I'm not interested in someone I become very unaffiliated. It's been scary to notice how quick I might become codependent of my boyfriend. I have to work on finding balance between my traits.

Are you jealous?
- I always thought I wouldn't. I am quite realistic and good to discuss about every subject but in the end... yeah, I'm damn jealous. Possessive and jealous.

How do you act when you go to jealous mode?
- I try to get out of it. Discussing about it with the other person usually helps. I've learnt a lot of myself and understood I am intensively passionate personality. Apparently there's too much to handle sometimes but that's who I am. And some people like intensive!

Are you seeing someone right now?
- No. I'm single.

Do you believe in love at first sight?
- I believe in strong mutual attraction and intuition at first sight, and one might foresee someone being special. For falling in love I however have to get to know with the person better.

About me:

Describe yourself with three words.
- Intensive. Friendly. Talkative.

Which word would your friends add to that?
- A bit of crazy. (laughs)

Which appearance related things were you insecure while being a teen?
- Where should I start from? I worried about my weight, body, skin - that is a problem still - and my masculinity. It's needed differently in America than in Europe. I love European culture with masculine sense of beauty are different. Over here masculine beauty and cuteness is appreciated.

How did you get away from your insecurity?
- One by one I understood they don't matter. I started to notice good characters about myself and love myself from inside. I believe when someone is on first-name basis with themselves they look attractive in eyes of the others. Not everyone can look like a model. The most important is accepting yourself and understand there are more important things in the world than what do you look like. It's useless try to be perfect because no one is.

When and why did you cry the last time?
I regress to a baby while watching the movies and tv series. When I watched the 4th season "Skins" a while ago I started to bawl whena girl couple Naomi and Emily had an intimate moment. Actors in Skins are so great!

About people:

Which nicknames do your close ones call you?
- Family and friends don't nickname me but my fans call me Glambert. I think that fits to me!

Who is the most important person in your life?
- (thinking) Probably my parents. My family... my mom.

When do you come to meet your fans in Finland? You're way more popular in here than in Sweden!
- That's what I heard! You've got good taste. Hopefully I can visit soon!

After the interview it's been confirmed Adam performs in X Factor Finland on 2nd May.


Adam in short analysis

We gave a word, Adam replied the first word bumped to his mind.

Scary - Sadness
Joy - Singing
Envy - Luck
Inspiration - Glitter
Nature - Green
Happiness - Satisfaction
Beauty - Confidence






Credit: Hand

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is the most personal interview I've seen. Wonder if they took some liberties with the translation.

Anonymous said...

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing! And thanks Hand for the scans and translations!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interview and translation. Great insightful questions and Adam so openly answered him.

Anonymous said...

Another great interview. My Finnish bloodline understands the translation exactly. Just how my grandparents translate from suomi to English.

Liisa Heikkenen Walkema

Anonymous said...

adam is so lucky to have a great mother who supports him all along.

i thought he was referring with drake about his ex boyfriend. it was really sad they broke up, drake seems nice and am sure the paparazzi are chasing him to do a story about adam, hope he won't do it.

Anonymous said...

I am American and straight and appreciate masculine beauty and cuteness and all of Adam's beautiful inner traits as well. I know so many of do. Adam's a breath of fresh air.

Anonymous said...

AN 3:11
Adam is referring to his ex boyfriend Brad (Cheeks).They were together for two years when Adam was 25.Great interview,it made me teary,you can feel the struggle of his teens

Anonymous said...

I love his relationship with his mom! I think that is why so many older women find him charming. Most son's (mine included) are not like Adam unfortunately. Adam really is a remarkable person.

Anonymous said...

His Mom did a terrific job raising Adam. I love seeing her and the joy and pride on her face when he performs. Think she will be involved with his fan club and is helping to decorate his rental house in L.A. His Dad and brother,Neil live in New York and are very supportive and great too.This was such an informative, honest interview. Never get tired reading about him. funbunn40

Anonymous said...

Adam's Mom is a real hero. There are a lot of gay kids on the street becuase of their parents inability to accept them so many are harmed. Not to mention the suicide rate among gay teens. She ahould write a book or become the P-Flag spokesperson!

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on Adam, you really don't think Bill is straight do you? Because he said so? I think he said that just to keep Tokio Hotel's tween fan base.

Anonymous said...

Adam's parents are modern day heros in my opinon!

Anonymous said...

anon 12:10

You must not know anything about Adam Lambert. Do you think for one moment that he would "out" anybody? He will continue to say how pretty Bill is and that Bill is straight until BILL decides that it is the right time to set the record straight (no pun intended). Adam knows what Adam knows and being Adam, he's going to keep it to himself.

Anonymous said...

Anon @3:22, I don't know Adam personally, but of course, I don't think he would do that. But Adam does seem to be pretty honest and does not appear to be known for keeping his opinions to himself. However, since Bill has said he is not gay, I don't think Adam would voice anything different, even if he thought it(like I do!)

Anonymous said...

All Adam's fans and Tokio Hotel fans appreciate how respectful Adam is of Bill Kaulitz.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the translation of this interview. Adam is so honest, vulnerable, unafraid, and beautiful. It's why we love him.