Skinpress Demo Rss

Concert Review: Queen & Adam Lambert Live in London NYE 2014

Filed Under () by Adam Lambert on Friday, January 9, 2015

Posted at : Friday, January 09, 2015


So who can fill the leather chaps of Mr. Freddie Mercury? The New Year’s Eve crowd at London’s Westminster Central Hall were in clear agreement that Adam Lambert was a more than adequate choice.
The star in the making was joined by original group members Brian May and Roger Taylor during his final performance on 2009’s American Idol, and the trio teamed up once more at the MTV European Music Awards in November of that year. My opinion of Mr. Lambert was formed during that fantastic Idol run – he was great tv, but the more I saw of him, the more he reminded me, physically, of a fondly remembered old boyfriend, and as he maneuvered through the season with talent and charm, the less I recognized the emerging “he’s… err, gay? Bi? Right?” dilemma in my head and the more I fell for his charmingly earnest brand of theatrics. I think I’m on the losing end of that crush. But, when the proposed tour-worthy collaboration was announced, I was fully on board. It made sense, and when challenging myself, and please know I didn’t make this “Rock Star 2″, I couldn’t think of another up and comer, who was teen-friendly that would be better to get Queen out on the road in full steam. Even more so after the London Olympics, where the Queen segment led many people to debate the infinitesimal possibility of anyone (sorry Jessie J, I thought you did well) ever squeezing into the aforementioned legwear.
So how did they fare live on such a big occasion?
The show kicked off with Don’t Stop Me Now, which is more ubiquitous in the UK, a top ten hit in 1979 that is used, one might say overused, in adverts and movie and tv soundtracks. Game on. Lambert’s vocal were beautiful, and he threw in a gospelly, Elvissy ending, which he also went back to later in the show.
Swivelly hips and dangling solo earring a-go, Lambert looked good on stage, at his fighting weight and lightly made up, wearing de rigueur leather pants and, having borrowed, and then tailored, a sparkly shirt from Liza’s closet, he channelled a post-Wham George Michael, styling-wise. May was wearing a open-chested black shirt, upon which I couldn’t quite see if, or if not, bore his “Save the Badgers” logo (that’s his thing now, it’s an ongoing English environmental concern and he sported a prominent badge when he played, I think, on top on Buckingham Palace in 2002). Drummer Roger Taylor looked fresh and into it from the kick-off on, smiling and resembling how Kenny Rogers and Billy Joel meant to look after their “freshening up” trips to various L.A. doctors.

Read full article:
http://www.popculturebeast.com/concert-review-queen-adam-lambert-live-london-nye-2014/

6 comments:

JAK said...

I liked the review....some originality at last....after all the carbon copies we've read, it was refreshing.

Gabi said...

Refreshing review!

Anonymous said...

Loved this one too! Thought it was engaging and REAL and fair.

Anonymous said...

Is the author saying Roger has had plastic surgery done?

Anonymous said...

So refreshing to read a different review from all the other media reviews which basically say the same. Hope there are more original and fair reviews.

6:57PM
Nah, Roger wouldn't have any "work" done. He's not that kind of guy ..... and what would be the point? He has a full beard!!

yada said...

What a cleverly written and outstanding review. Really enjoyed it!

So many good things included. I'm suspecting that we will see more originality with the British. I can't put my finger on just why, exactly... perhaps it's because what I've already read so far after NYE gives me that impression. Could also be the sense that Londoners' writing style seems novel to me compared to the standard American fare.

Anyway... Must say that I agree with her on the Big Ben fireworks experience being something to likened to awe & wonder. I adore our National traditions - our ball drop and our fireworks display - but, I was so impressed with England's grandiosity about it all and their variety. I hope they do it again next year as it will now be added into my New Year's eve traditions. :)

... And as for the leather chaps mention... well, *ahem*... I certainly would like to see Adam actually fill a pair of those. ;D