Skinpress Demo Rss

Adam Lambert Interview with Pressparty

Filed Under ( ) by Admin on Friday, January 6, 2012

Posted at : Friday, January 06, 2012

Pressparty: You’ve revealed that your forthcoming new album, ‘Trespassing’, is very personal. Has anything triggered your desire to be more personal on this record? Your track ‘Outlaws of Love’ is about gay marriage, has falling in love and finding your soul-mate influenced your songwriting in any way?

Adam Lambert: I think having experienced the journey of releasing my debut and touring the world gave me more insight into the artist I have grown into and who my incredible fans are. For 'Trespassing', I felt I was ready to write music from my experiences and give a very honest emotional portrayal of my desires and fears. Both dark and light. While exploring these themes I realized how universal my topics were. I think part of the beauty of song is how they connect people. Whether they're dancing or crying, the best songs resonate with the masses.

I wrote 'Outlaws' about the many challenges the gay community faces and how hopeless it sometimes makes me feel. After I shared it with friends, it became clear that the lyrics could be interpreted in so many ways. I later visualized it underscoring scenes from 'Bonnie and Clyde', 'Twilight', 'Milk' or even 'The Color Purple'. Adversity has many faces. My intention is that the tracks on 'Trespassing' strike a chord with all walks of life.

Pressparty: ‘Trespassing’ has an incredibly talented and dynamic team behind it (Dr. Luke, Pharrell Williams and songwriter Bonnie McKee). What were they like to work with?


Adam Lambert: Pharrell Williams has to be one of the coolest people I've ever met. For the first five minutes I felt like such an unworthy dork. But that was all on me - he didn't act like he was 'the' Pharrell. He was simply ready to create a killer track. We connected intellectually and found common ground in our philosophies. He really pushed me to be my bravest and brashest. I felt privileged to be working with someone who I'm such a fan of.

Bonnie is so talented, she dares to keep one foot in mainstream consciousness and one firmly planted outside the box. This is what makes her brilliant. Her melodic references are quirky and ironic, and her lyrics are so clever. We had so much fun writing together.

Dr. Luke has the special sauce. He has this unmatched gift for ear candy. He's the reason why you can hear a song on the radio a zillion times and hear something new in it each time, and yet you can hum the hook after the first listen.


Pressparty: You’re beautiful inside and out, as reflected by your philanthropy. Your fans even helped you to raise $1 million for various causes throughout 2011, with sales of the Adam Lambert Peace Pendant for The Trevor Project. Which causes, if any, will you be supporting in the New Year? (Pressparty would love to get involved!)

Adam Lambert: I'd like to do some more work with Donors Choose and Charity: Water. As soon as I figure out the next project I will definitely Tweet about it!

Pressparty: Pressparty has a strong LGBT following and understands that modern society often isn’t as liberal as it likes to make out. For example, some cities are more open-minded than others. Do you feel the acceptance of your sexuality in the U.S. has changed much in the years since appearing on American Idol? Would you ever consider moving to Europe with your Finnish boyfriend, Sauli Koskinen?

Adam Lambert: While I do feel like the U.S. has made social progress, I think there is still a lot of ignorance on the topic of sexuality. I still long for the LGBT community's diversity to be more broadly represented in the entertainment industry. I think larger strides have been made in film and TV but we still are just at the beginning with mainstream music. I consider myself a post-gay man working in a pre-gay industry.

I was already quite settled in my sexual identity before American Idol. Upon becoming a public figure I found I had to classify and qualify constantly. There has been so much 'role-model' talk over the past couple of years and although I'm honored to be considered one, I have a hard time allowing it to dictate the artistic and personal decisions I make. In following my own instincts and marching to my own drum, hopefully I can inspire others to find the confidence to do the same.

As far as Europe is concerned, I'd love to live there someday. I love european history and the lifestyle. However, I am an American with family and friends here and no matter the socio-political climate, this is my home.

Pressparty: Finally, a fan question from Linda Ladden - You have been compared to iconic performers such as Queen’s Freddie Mercury and Prince. What question would you have for them and what advice for your own career would you ask of them?

Adam Lambert:I honestly don't know what I'd ask icons like that. In my experience, the best advice is unsolicited. Legends like that probably wouldn't need me to ask a question, they lead or have led by example.


Source: Pressparty

59 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again adam is so articulate with his answers. He must be an interviewers dream.

Anne Marie said...

Very good interview. I suspect he knew the questions before he had to answer them. He answered in depth, not just off the top of his head. I also noticed he skirted around any question involving Sauli. I think that was intentional, Sauli is one of many experiences he has had over the last couple of years, so he didn't pick one thing or person. I agree with him that he probably won't ever move to Europe , he likes to be close to his family and friends.

Anonymous said...

for those who didn't realise it, most all interviews are edited, before being released, even videos.So he comes off being very articulate and knowledgeble. Not saying he is not articulate, his training in singing has been the main thing, that helps him to speak and not mumble his words.
Love him and wish him the best with his new album.

fanatapan said...

and so you know (i said this on an old thread), according to PP Adam was given a choice of which questions he wanted to answer, hence the articulate ways. :D

Anonymous said...

Thank God - Adam......"this is my home". Don't ever leave us Adam. Vacations - okay, but come back home!
Love,
nancdruuu2

Anonymous said...

Good answers, Adam. Focus on your career and keep your private life private!

Anonymous said...

so damn good. They could have given me the questions five years ago with a staff of professional writers and I still wouldn't have done as well.

Anonymous said...

Very happy Adam avoided talking about Sauli and focused on his music. "Soulmate" my butt you stupid interviewer.

Anonymous said...

fanatapan Adam is articulate, hence the articulate ways.

fanatapan said...

@Anon 12:04, i know that, but what i meant was the articulate ways that the other commenters mentioned, as in it sounding prepared. sorry, i should've rephrased my earlier comment. whoops! :p

Anonymous said...

IS IT ANY WONDER WE LOVE HIM

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this interview. He is such an inspiration. He can be a great motivational speaker as well. I loved this part of his interview:

"I was already quite settled in my sexual identity before American Idol. Upon becoming a public figure I found I had to classify and qualify constantly. There has been so much 'role-model' talk over the past couple of years and although I'm honored to be considered one, I have a hard time allowing it to dictate the artistic and personal decisions I make. In following my own instincts and marching to my own drum, hopefully I can inspire others to find the confidence to do the same. "

Anonymous said...

Pressparty response to one of the fan's comment on this article:

Pressparty
Adam himself was able to pick the questions he wanted to answer :) PP x

Pressparty posted the article on its facebook page as well.

http://www.facebook.com/Pressparty

Anonymous said...

I loved him saying:" In following my own instincts and marching to my own drum" This world would be a better place and people would be happier if more people did exactly this. I for one have been a lot happier when I stopped giving a hoot to some people and what they think about my decisions in life and the way I choose to live it. These people included some close ones such family and friends.

Anonymous said...

he picked out just the right questions, some focus on many things. Yay I love DonorsChoose charity too,I always fall back on that one.

Anonymous said...

12.28

Absolutely right! In live you can fail or succeed BUT at least it should be YOUR decission, not other people's . Of course we all should listen to friends or family but the final choise should be our own.JMO.
BTW Adam's words, impeccable.

SG

Anonymous said...

I mean IN LIFE.

SG

Anonymous said...

For the most part of our lives, if we follow what Adam said "In following my own instincts and marching to my own drum" we will be happy and successful individuals and hopefully make a difference in this world.

Anonymous said...

dadged all SK questions. if you are in Love AL, we wanna here all the gory details.

Anonymous said...

his sexual identity post Idol was gay man with bi tendancies.

Anonymous said...

he sure dodged that soulmate question didn't he??????????

Anonymous said...

@1:23PM for the most part he didn't dodge the idiocracy of some people like you. Go away and don't make us to get side tracked from what's the main focus of this interview which is Adam's music.

Adamluv said...

"Unworthy dork" ? - NEVER!!!! Well, maybe a little bit dorkish in your choice of beach outfits (LOL) but never unworthy! Do I hear an amen? ... Adamluv

Anonymous said...

2:09 amen. lol

glitzylady said...

@Adamluv
AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Adamluv

Amen!!

SG

Anonymous said...

hey 1:57 kiss my ass you got that! he dodged the question because he DID NOT ANSWER IT! dig?

Anonymous said...

2:57 lasso their tongue with a bull whip for the sitting bull that they are.:))

Anonymous said...

interesting questions and answers. If Adam's name ever comes up again let's vote for him, good exposure. I like Donorschoose also and have been sending them donations since Adam first mentioned them.

Anonymous said...

is it true there will be BIRDS in the new BTIKM video???

Anonymous said...

here we go with the nonsense one liners cuz someone out her down!!! lmfo

Anonymous said...

whataya want from me if you know me better than I know myself and for your entertain ment I will pick u up and you can watch me strut. I get the fever whenever I hear music again and If I had you there might be time for a miracle.

Anonymous said...

that is an interesting site if you go in and look around. Glad Adam got this nice interview, shows him off.

Anonymous said...

Letting your fucking arrongance out! what?

Anonymous said...

interviewer: who drinks more? AL: Sauli does!

Anonymous said...

whoa just reading comments.Someone out in left field here. lol

Anonymous said...

@2:57PM you idiot, Adam picked that question and answered it beautifully to prove dumb fuck ass people like you and the interviewers asking him personal irrelevant questions. Basically, he said none of your fucking business who the hell is and will be my soulmate. I'm here for your entertainment only now let's answer questions about my music. Don't fucking get side tracked.

Anonymous said...

4:19 beautifully said!!

Anonymous said...

oh no watch the meaningless grade school one liners fly now. lol

Anonymous said...

As Adam said:

Don't dictate the artistic and PERSONAL decisions I make. He the boss and executive producer of his 2nd album. If some fans feel entitled to butt into his personal and professional life, better not to follow him. Go away, most of us are happy for the way Adam is and all decision-making. We will support him on internet polls, buy his music and go to his concerts.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That was a good interview and Adam's answers "impeccable" as one poster has said. Talk about being articulate! Even if he did choose which questions he wanted to answer, he spoke with confidence and depth and sincerity. I'm always very impressed with Adam's intelligence after hearing him speak at length during interviews.

The interviewer was off base asking him such personal questions about Sauli. Good try Mr. Interviewer but you can't catch Adam 'cause he's too smart for that.

Anonymous said...

The concept of marching to your own drum is admirable, but causes many Moms to go prematurely blonde!

^o^

Anonymous said...

I'm happy Adam picked these questions. He knew the interviewer didn't take the time to do some research about him to ask him questions about his second album. The interviewer might have asked him questions about American Idol or AMA or his make-up. Those common questions we read or heard about million times. Love you Adam not only you have an impeccable voice, you are smart and articulate. I'm happy Adam is fully in-charge of his 2nd album as he should've been with his 1st one. IMO he was mis-guided by Idol management with his 1st one.

glitzylady said...

I see no inappropriate questions here...The interviewer didn't ask him anything directly about Sauli: and I think the term "soulmate" is fine...I doubt Adam OR Sauli would object, but that's just my opinion of course..The interviewer simply wondered how his music might have evolved based on his life as it is now. Adam has commented on that already in other interviews...so not intrusive, and not a big secret. And I thought the questions asked showed that research HAD been done and were thoughtful and interesting, and in turn Adam's answers were articulate and honest, as always...He has of course become more guarded and selective, which shows growth on his part, and a better understanding of the media...Love him!!

Good interview....I think this time around we will most likely hear less "guy-liner" questions...thank goodness!

Anonymous said...

hey 4:19 who shittzo in your bowl of wheaties??????????????????

Anonymous said...

AL will have 10 soulmates preferrably virgins before the end of the world in 2012.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

@6:08 pm
RIGHT ON!!

Anonymous said...

THis interview is fantastic!!! Love Adam's answers about moving to Europe.
Love the photos which they attached to the articel. Except 3rd one. It's too Boy Georgeeee!
However, photo #1 is fantastic!!!!
I know this is photoshop, but Adam deff deserved to get the crown!!! Freddie is crowned legend and Adam is gonna be crowned legend very soon!!!!

Anonymous said...

WHen I heard "Outlaws of Love" first time I thought about many friends of mine who lost love and hope forever. And I told them that they have to listen this song. This song isn't just about sexuality. I'm so glad that Adam relised that this song is about every lonely soul which lost faith, confused but still has hope to find love and happiness.

Anonymous said...

@6:09PM Not only I understand English, I speak, read, and write two other languages reading/writing from right to left. Thank God, I'm not delusional like you. You only take things out of context because of your mental sickness. Get out of this fan site cause you give us a bad name.

Anonymous said...

hey 7:40 i work as a private investigator and my aunt knows 8 languages!!!! I excel in hog tying as well does that count???

Anonymous said...

anon 6:32 I love you know it!

Anonymous said...

7:40 you hit the nail on the head with the mental illness, she is probably a borderline personality disorder.My sister has that diagnosis.

Anonymous said...

What's going on here? Adam had the great interview. Let me correct myself. ADAM HAD ANOTHER GREAT INTERVIEW!!!!!
Who send the memo that today is "fucking idiocracy" party?
I dind't get it.
Please, ladies, this is time for happiness and excitement!
Go get wine, beer or something harder. 20 oz glass of vodka+cranberry juice+lemon will help. Don't add any ice if you want to relax in 5 seconds:)

Anonymous said...

I hope Adam never will open this blog and read these discussing comments.

Anonymous said...

@anon 7:52PM Did you mean "spelling bee" contest?
You are funny:):):)

Anonymous said...

How come some many sick people on the blog today?

Anonymous said...

@adamin I know that we have freedom of speech but I think we still have to have some limits on this blog:(