Skinpress Demo Rss

A "Must Read"!! Catt Gravitt, Co-Writer Of Adam Lambert's "Underneath" & "Runnin" From "Trespassing" Album (2012), Discusses Adam: "A Joy To Work With" "That Voice Is A Force"

Filed Under () by glitzylady on Sunday, July 12, 2015

Posted at : Sunday, July 12, 2015

Interesting, extremely insightful interview/article via "Song Facts"

A MUST READ!!!

Interview with Catt Gravitt, Nashville songwriter/producer, who co-wrote Adam Lambert's songs from his Trespassing album (2012), "Underneath" & "Runnin"

She reveals how she met Adam, and her subsequent involvement in his career via "Trespassing"



Photo Credit: Adam Lambert in the Studio by Photographer Lee Cherry - "Trespassing" Photo Series

Link to The Interview HERE

Excerpts from the interview/article:

BE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW TO SEE ALL OF THE ADAM LAMBERT DISCUSSION: The selected excerpts below are only part of what Ms. Gravitt said about Adam...



That voice is a force, and it was just a joy to work with him. I hope that he continues to be heard because he's one of the most phenomenal male voices. He really is sort of Freddy Mercury reincarnated.

Songfacts: The Adam Lambert song "Underneath" is another big, vulnerable song you wrote, just revealing everything. Can you talk about that song and putting it together?

Catt: I wish that could've been a single. We thought that could've been an award show performance..... It didn't chart, it wasn't a single, but I will never forget writing it that day. 

When we recorded Adam's vocal on that, he stepped out in the middle of the song because he had to take a phone call. It was with VH1 - he was doing a Behind The Scenes with them. He came back in, and he was very upset. He saw the footage and for 45 minutes they wanted to talk about him being gay, and for five minutes they wanted to talk about his music. We all had this beautiful discussion about all of us, and him really sharing his vulnerabilities, and then he got back up to the microphone and sang that song. I truly think the world of that guy. He really was baring his soul that day, and when I listen to him sing that song, it just kills me. Kills me.

Songfacts: What was it like, working with him on the song "Runnin'"?

After we did "Underneath," Adam's management told us, "If Adam didn't enjoy the day, he'll just say, 'thank you guys.' If he did enjoy the day, he'll probably ask you to write." And he asked us to write. So Robert said, "I have this one track, and Catt and I really love it and want to see what you think." Well, he loved it, so we started writing on it. I could tell that he had some deep things that he wanted to say in his heart, so we let him run on a lot.

Adam Lambert "Underneath" Live In Seoul, Korea (2013)

Gorgeous vocals!!!




Fan Favorite from Trespassing album,  bonus track "Runnin" (Audio only) (2012)





10 comments:

Magiclady said...

Hearing the story of him recording "Underneath" breaks my heart.
I have wondered about the stories behind many of his songs and where the emotion came from.
I often listen to "Trespassing" and wish the world would have heard more of that album...
I want everyone to see the beauty of this man.

CT said...

Listening to him sing "Underneath", and watching him perform it, definitely was a moment of "baring his soul" and I have tears in my eyes.....for real. Incredible.

Dee R Gee said...

This interview made me cheer with exultation and weep with empathy, all at the same time. I love the heartfelt respect that Catt has for Adam and his voice. She really "gets" him. To speak of him with such praise just makes my heart burst. Underneath is an unheard diamond of a song. He has only performed it live once? twice? I agree with her that it should have been a single and could have been an arena-thriller, could have been an Awards show jaw-dropper. Coulda, shoulda. It's a song that thrills me every time. Trespassing is full of songs like that. Adam recently said that if (when) he tours next year, he will include TP songs in the set list. God, I hope so. How hurt Adam must have felt when the VH1 interview was mostly about his sexuality. That is happening much less now, finally. I can just visualize Adam in the recording studio finishing Underneath after that interview and after have that talk with the other writers.

I still puzzle over how Adam is still an unknown to so many. Maybe not unknown, but simply considered average, or just one in the crowd. Yet, virtually everyone who has ever worked with him has praised him to the heavens, both for his voice and for himself as a person. He has recorded plenty of hit-worthy songs. His voice and persona are beyond special, beyond just one in the crowd. The WB era is definitely a big step in the right direction, but it's a struggle nonetheless. With his many talents, he should have along career. I know those of us here are trying to make that happen.

He's a treasure, a gift.

Anonymous said...

Well said Dee R Gee, totally agree so many beautiful songs that were not given a life of their own, damn shame.
Adam may not have the biggest fan base in the world but I'm sure they are the most passionate and loyal. It is great that he acknowledges that often.

Unknown said...

For me the album Trespassing is the best album ever recorded. I still believe it will make it to BROADWAY starring Adam !!!

Dee R Gee said...

Joan, I love TP, too. And hey, who knows what might happen with Adam's music in the future? His music is definitely a journey and it really lends itself to visuals.

TP is one of those unheard masterpieces that might just get rediscovered as time goes by. The music is too good to just let it stay hidden. Hope Adam will showcase some TP tunes on tour. Anywhere, anytime.

JAK said...

May I indulge in a "Things were better in the old days moment"???
Sales were certainly better. In the 50s artists put out pop records with an A side and a B side.
And instead of albums that came out every couple years......we got new songs every month or two, we crowded the record shops to get the new Elvis or Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly or whoever...2 songs on one disc. DJs played your call in requests, sometimes 3 or 4 times in an hours time! Artists were on TV shows weekly or monthly with the newest hit and kept busy recording year round. Business was booming.

And then along came digital music...itunes did us in. Fans and artists. It's a sad history to read. And it's why today artists only make money from tours and merchandise sales. :-(((

Pan said...

DeeRGee
I disrespectfully disagree with you, Trespassing is a good album, like many other albums it contains masterpieces, Outlaws of Love, huge songs, Runnin , Underneath, Map,all would have deserved a life of their own, now we only mention them , sometimes.So dramatic, so passionate, so-above-the-average-lyrics, so personal, never trivial lyrics...and like a millstone around Adam's neck, so difficult to be played live. I think he's facing the same problem with The Original High songs that are to be played in his future concerts. I don't think that playing them acoustically can be a solution, they were written/produced as electronic pop songs, it is as if we're watching, hmm, The Lord of The Rings, an epic movie with splendid panoramic shots and Dolby sound on our computer screens.I desperately need to hope that he'll never, ever play with a prerecorded tape backstage.I'm here, I'm a fan, I'm a supporter because HE CAN SING LIVE ! I also think that Lucy, Rumors can also be played live on special occasions, Brian and Tove Lo never projected on a screen, for the simple reason that , thank God , they are alive.

Pan said...

OH, SORRY, SORRY, , "RESPECTFULLY".

JAK said...

@ Dee R Gee.....just a thought. I don't think Adam is so much "unknown" as his music is not appreciated. Again, using my two fifty-ish daughters....and 27 yr. old g'son as my reviewers.....#1 daughter----"call me Mom, when he puts out a rock album". #2 daughter----call me Mom, when he puts out a rock album or when he's on Broadway, I'll fly to NYC with you". My g'son just agrees that he has a great voice but
"I don't listen to his kind of music". Nor do his friends.....all in their 20s. A big clump of music loving people don't love Adams music.

As much as I love his voice, I like about half the songs on each of his albums.....less on this 3rd one.
I do know, like my kids, I'd love a rock album and that's what most people expected at the end of Idol and they didn't get it and a lot lost interest......sadly. I won't lose interest because I will always be hoping that someday will be his day.