Skinpress Demo Rss

Adam Lambert on album cover, middle school, coming out, Pink, and Idol!

Filed Under ( ) by Admin on Saturday, January 9, 2010

Posted at : Saturday, January 09, 2010



On his new album cover:
“People saw that cover and they were like ‘he looks a little feminine to me, I don’t understand.’ I’m like yeah… I had so much airbrushing on that picture on purpose. The hunky dory cover that Bowie did, Boy George and Motley Crue and Prince — like all these artists that did this over the top, lipsticky glammy thing. The minute someone from ‘Idol’ does it, who’s actually gay, it’s like ‘Oh No!’”

On middle school:
“Middle School was kind of an isolated time. I mean the only social outlet I really had was theatre and that was one day a week. I was in a childrens theatre group on Saturdays and that was really my social group. That was the one place where I felt like there were other kids like me.”

About coming out of the closet:
“It’s funny …This whole thing, talking about coming out. I don’t even think about it anymore until all of this started happening with my career. And it’s interesting now, because I am open and visible. I suppose it is important to talk about it, but the past eight or nine years of my life I haven’t thought twice about it, it’s just who I am.”

On collaborating with Pink:
“Next single we’ve started to promote is ‘”Whattya Want from Me.” It was written by Pink and Max Martin who is a huge hit maker and I heard the demo that she recorded and it just broke my heart. The lyrics are just so honest and vulnerable and I think anybody can relate to the message in the song.”

On Idol: “Over the past few years, I started working on demos. I was writing with some people,and I was kind of starting to really love the idea of trying to get into the recording industry,and I thought to myself, how am I gonna be able to do this? And someone said to me, you know you’re not going to get signed unless you have a fanbase. It just doesn’t work that way. You have to have some sort of form of celebrity or something to like,give you leverage in that field. And so I thought,ok. It’s time to get some leverage,and so auditioning for American Idol just made sense.”


Premiering on Monday, January 11th at 8pm ET and encores Tuesday the 12th at 11 PM, the program will be a part of Fuse Idol All Stars, a special all-night lineup of shows featuring fellow Idol alums Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry and more. Click here for more info!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Adam would stop saing "I mean" in his interviews. I think he said it 7 times on Jay Leno. I guess it's taken over for "you know". He's so intelligent and interviews so well, he doen't need the latest "um" or "uh".

lourdes said...

this is what i think about adam's album cover (this is my personal opinion) i think people were taken aback by the cover especially those who don't know him yet. i gave a friend a cd of adam and i could see that she was trying to figure out adam's gender, in the end i did a bit of explaining. don't get me wrong adam, i know you are a free spirit individual but you could have done it in a subtle way (not in your debut album) and prepared people to accept your sexuality. i like you very much and don't care about your sexuality, your music gives me a lot of comfort and joy and i would like other people to feel the same. all the best!

Fritz said...

Uh, I hate to break it to Adam, but Boy George is also "actually gay"! Not only that, he wasn't airbrushed. He was really that pretty back in the day and he wore makeup all the time. They used to call people like Adam Lambert "poseurs".

Anonymous said...

Can we move on please. The album cover is history. Even Adam's mom said it wasn't her favorite. OK already, we get it!! And to Fritz--what is your point? Adam has been open, out and proud since high school. It's only the media jerks who make an issue of it, so it's time to move forward.

Anonymous said...

I don't see the big deal. I like the album cover and think it is fun, artistic and off the wall. I guess it would have been easier if he had used the FYE cover, but live and learn. Adam is coming from a very open underground scene and he isn't use to the closed minded people in the rest of the US yet. He is figuring it out. He will be huge on the international scene for sure!!

Anonymous said...

Adam has made many decisions which surpise us and indicate that he is really a bit different from the "sweet boy" image he portrayed on Idol...actually I think the FYE song is not far from the truth about his personaliy and his life attitudes.

staygold said...

Adam is truly UNIQUE. He is a beautiful person inside and out. His album cover really stands out and I think it was genius. In interviews he is articulate, and in concert he is mesmerising.
People went to Idols concert to see his verryyyy sexy performances and personally ( I can't wait until he brings back some of those outfits from the Zodiac show.
Adam has stated that he adores his intense fans(AWWWWW). Does he mean the whiny complaining ones too(you know the ones who tell him to perform a certain way ,talk a certain way,look a certain way,or maybe being yourself is SCARY for some. Adam is not for everyone,but he is for me! JUST THE WAY HE IS! get on the train-enjoy the ride

IreneRose said...

Staygold you said it beautifully, and I agree with you 100%. I love Adam and his uniqueness, that's what makes him so special and I wouldn't change a hair on his head.

Anonymous said...

WOW! It's ONLT a picture, that I personaly think that is VERY CREATIVE. That's what Adam WANTED and that's what COUNTS! IT'S HIS PROJECT NOT OURS. So put it to rest. PLEASE!
Did you buy another CD?

MiMi said...

Who cares what the is on the cover of a CD? It's what's inside that counts. The album is amazing. It may take some time but Adam's album will be a blockbuster.

Anonymous said...

Adam has been on his own since high school, traveled to various places around the world, has been performing in clubs for yrs. I don't think he's as innocent as he looks. He's been around the block a few times. He's open-minded, a risk-taker, uninhibited, outrageous, likes to party, always looking for a good time. He's probably experienced more in 8 yrs. than some people have in 20. I agree that FYE is something he can identify with. I think he's been there, done that. In spite of his 'take me or leave me' exterior, he is soft and sweet inside.