Skinpress Demo Rss

Fifth House Sun Interview with the legendary Suz526

Filed Under (, ) by Admin on Sunday, October 3, 2010

Posted at : Sunday, October 03, 2010

From fifthhousesun.com :

To launch a new series of interviews on Creativity that will appear from time-to-time, FifthHouseSun.com is honored to have Video Goddess Suz526 as our first interviewee. Fifth House in action, Suz526 risks nightly, using her great Creativity, to bring wondrous fun to us all.

FHS: What’s your video history? Have you been shooting videos a long time? Or did Adam spark or renew your interest?

SUZ526: Adam renewed an interest that had been dormant for some time. Although I filmed the typical “family events,” my interest in filming started when my children were young and I was involved in videotaping (VHS tapes!) amateur skating competitions at the local ice rink.


What was the first time you shot video of Adam in concert?

I went to the very first AI concert in Portland, Oregon. July 5, 2009. To see Adam. It had never occurred to me to bring a video camera.

Later, as I watched other people’s videos on YouTube – I realized I wanted to re-live the magical experience again and again. I talked to my son about it and he agreed to come to Oakland with me the following week and film.


So, your son filmed your first Adam videos?

Yes, he used a Flip Mino. He helped me set up a YT channel and uploaded the videos.


How long before you decided you wanted to shoot the vids yourself?

Almost immediately. I set out the next week for Staples Center in Los Angeles. July 16, 2009. My first videos! I filmed less than 10 seconds before I was approached by security. I was using a camcorder – which I later learned is a major “no-no”. So I got nothing at the Staples show.

I tried another AI tour show, again with the camcorder. Got all the way through. At the end of the Bowie medley, Ray confiscated my 32gig memory card! Lesson learned and not repeated! It became clear that filming Adam had to be a stealth operation.

So, armed with a Flip Mino, I headed to San Diego. I captured Adam’s entire 20 minute set – start to finish – and posted on YouTube – all by myself! I was hooked!


How did it feel?

Being caught on my first attempt didn’t feel so good. And although I saw what – in my opinion – was one of Adam’s most electrifying performances in LA, I came home empty-handed and disappointed that I couldn’t watch it again.

But my San Diego videotaping experience was pretty exciting. And I was learning about uploading, downloading, editing, and converting video. I must confess that the technical aspects of this venture are fascinating to me.


How did you like your first results?

At the time, I was thrilled to have filmed the entire set without ending up in jail. And proud to have my own YT channel. I was completely hooked on watching Adam’s YT AI Tour performances. And it felt so good to contribute to the efforts of sharing this extraordinary young man’s talent with the world. But I did – and still do –have concerns about the quality of the videos. How could/can I make them better?


Equipment wise, what cameras – or other devices – are you using most now for hardware? Why those choices?

I like my Canon Powershot SX20is. It may not be the best there is, but it works for me. My back-up is either a Lumix Z35, or Canon Powershot 210.


Is that the famed Rolando? Seen in the picture – now your avi – with Adam? Where was that taken?

Rolando had his picture taken with Adam at the 9/15 Atlanta Meet & Greet. Adam liked that Rolando had a name. I told Adam that Rolando enjoyed taking pictures of him.

How did Rolando get his name?

I was tweeting one night that I ought to give my camera a name. Some one suggested Rolando, and when I looked at him, I knew it was a perfect fit!


Interesting that your Cameras-of-Choice are still photography cameras that also shoot video. Do you think that helps fool security?

Possibly – but they definitely go after camcorders. I’m sure they know that videos are being shot – but the camcorders are terribly obvious.


Do you enjoy shooting still photographs as well?
Not really – my stills are very amateurish. There are so many great photographer out there.


Do you have “fallbacks” – equipment, or alternate seat locations, say – to use if Security busts you?

I pray a lot!!! Although I plan, and take extra cameras, it is always a crapshoot. The biggest issue has typically been the folks in front of me. You can’t predict who will sit where, how tall they’ll be, wearing hats, moving around – not just the normal flailing you want/expect, but the getting in and out to buy drinks, go to the restroom, etc.


What editing software do you like? Why?
iMovie – very user friendly and quick.


What kind of computer set-up do you use?
At home – an iMac. On the road – a MacBook Pro laptop.


If you could have anything you wanted, hardware, computer, and software wise, what would it be?
A Mac Pro 12-Core. Configured with all the goodies and with maximum storage!!!!


You’re known & revered for your speed. How do you get the vids posted so fast after concerts?

No special trick – I know it’s important to Adam fans and I just do it! Keep in mind, when I’m not at a concert, I’m also sitting and waiting for vids to come in myself. So I know what it’s like to wait! I am pretty focused and have a good computer – Yay, MacIntosh! The unknown factor is always the Internet speed where I am staying.


Recently, you’ve been carrying your own portable WiFi hotspot, right? For which we all thank you. Was iffy hotel internet part of deciding to do that? Or ability to upload from anywhere, and not have to go back to the hotel?

A little of both, but primarily the hotel internet speed. The internet card isn’t all that fast, but it’s definitely better than some of the hotels. One hotel though (can’t remember which one) was blazing fast. Vids were uploading faster than I could make the movies!


You’ve uploaded from cars, bar tables. For which, again, we all thank you. How was uploading vids from the bar OZ in New Orleans surrounded by scantily clad, dancing men?

That was hysterical – I’m standing at the front of the bar, watching people coming and going (Desparately Seeking Adam), men dancing on top of the bar – one memory I’ll never forget. Good times!


How do you decide which concerts you’ll attend?

Lots of factors: work commitments, travel costs – big cities are usually cheaper. Availability of staying with – or sharing costs – with friends and frequent flyer miles. But sometimes, there are concerts you expect will be epic and you just HAVE to be there – like the very first one in Wilkes Barre. I also suspected San Francisco would be epic. Same for New Orleans. And Puyallup.

Of course, living in SoCal – the ones that are close to me are “no-brainers.” If I can drive – I’ll be there! But the amazing thing about Adam – as you know – is that he makes every concert unique!


How do you choose where to sit? Are there any “usually so” aspects about location? Like closer “usually’ produces better pics, and further away “usually” produces better audio? Or is each venue completely different?

Pretty much “luck of the draw” – dictated by what I can get on Ticketmaster. And you’re right, no two venues are the same. I can sit in the same spot in two different venues and the results can be totally different. I just try to figure out how to make it work wherever I’m sitting. That’s why I don’t film the opening acts – I’m pretty much trying to figure out logistics.


Do you have helpers/assistants at every concert?

Nope – I work solo! Although I often go with friends, we don’t always sit together. And they have been very generous in swapping seats so I can get the best video/ audio. In Puyallup, a wonderful woman I didn’t even know, gave me her closer, more unobstructed seat. She wanted to do it for the benefit of everyone.

During the concert, I’m completely concentrated on tracking Adam, working around the audience cheering, his moving, pulling focus, getting the best quality. However, back at the hotel room, it’s another story! Lots of fun and chatter while I’m uploading!


Creatively, what do you enjoy the most, shooting or editing?

If I had control of the situation, I would say filming. But I don’t have control so the filming is very reactive. By now, I know pretty much where Adam will move on the stage, but what I don’t know is what the people in front of me will do so I am
constantly having to adapt/readjust.

I do love the editing, though – it’s pretty routine for the concert vids. But when a creative idea strikes – I can spend hours editing!


What’s the most personally rewarding part of videography in Lambertaria?

Knowing that I’m helping fans who don’t have the opportunity to “see” Adam through the lens of my camera. Some of the messages that are posted are very poignant and touch me deeply.


What’s the most frustrating part?

Getting to the venue and finding that I have an obstructed view!


Are you considering more “Original Story” videos with GNT footage like your popular amusingly sub-titled and sound-tracked compilations of the past. And the recent “We’ve Got Lambert”?

I might. I often get asked about making a DVD of a specific concert and I always tell folks no. I want to explain that it worries me when I see other do it. It is a huge risk and has the potential of harming us all.

First, I do not have the copyright to Adam’s performances. I think Sony has been very generous to allow us to post these videos – it definitely has payback for them. However, the DVDs move into another whole category. And when money changes hand – even if it’s not requested – there are huge risks.

I changed the text on my video copy to give credit to the artistic/intellectual property owners. It’s the right thing to do.


When did you first discover Adam?

Early rounds of American Idol. I’m a long time AI watcher since season 2. Our end-of-year festivities at work always included an AI parody. I coordinated – and played Paula, amusingly. So I always watched AI to get ideas.


When did you upgrade from admirer to committed fan?
The night he “lost” Idol – I was outraged! And yes, I voted for him repeatedly the previous night.


What about him inspires your involvement?

Similar interests – musical theater, costumes, range of genres, fashion. But perhaps the one thing that I appreciated most was his kindness. I remember him always praising , supporting, and thanking others – very rare in such a competitive field.


Have you been this engaged with being a fan before?

Never – but then, I have never seen a talent like this before, either.


You’ve been watching Adam closely through the lens for a while now, have you noticed any changes?

Probably nuances – he has always been the consummate performer. It’s hard to imagine him getting any better, but somehow he always manages to do just that.


What part of the GNT concert do you enjoy filming the most?

Probably Fever, IIHY and the encore. Those seem to be the ones people want to see first. Although, the acoustic set – where he stays in one spot – is easiest to film.


Any songs that you find more challenging than others to capture?

It depends on where I’m sitting. My ideal spot would be the front row balcony, with no security issue and an unobstructed view of the stage. I tend to zoom in more to avoid heads in front of me – but folks at home miss the entire spectacle.

Too often I shortchange the band and dancers to focus on Adam. The band and dancers are most challenging to film, but they are truly an integral part of the show.


Do you ever just want to go to one of Adam’s concerts and simply watch, not take pictures or vids?

Taking videos is so ingrained now, that I probably couldn’t relax any other way.

It’s hard to explain, but when the music starts, I get into my groove and film. I typically have one eye on Adam (I really do watch him) and one eye looking though Rolando. Rolando’s zoom also serves as a pair of binoculars so I can see up closer than I would normally.


From his entire catalogue, including Idol, what’s are your top 3 Adam Lambert tunes, personally, and why?

Fever – how can you not love it? IIHY – ditto. And WLL at Fantasy Springs – what he did to this song that night was historic. I listened to it on repeat in my car radio for days – maybe weeks – afterwards


Emo or Elvis?

No preference – I wish I had as many options for my own hair!


If the camera genie granted you any camera you desired for concert vids, what would it be? Why?

Well, if there were no security issues and money was no object, I’d def go for a Canon H1S. But there would be NO WAY to sneak that baby in, and I’d be kicked out in a heartbeat!


How long do you think you’ll keep shooting Adam in concert?

As long as it’s still fun for me – one of the best parts of going to so many concerts is connecting with friends I’ve made along the way.


You met Adam recently, how was that experience?

Unbelievable – I was so unprepared for it that I really hadn’t planned anything to say. I wanted to tell him more about my commitment to education and Donor’s Choose. I was surprised at how thin he was. I mean, I’ve seen him on stage up close, but in person he is really skinny! But skinny in a good way!!

He is so breathtakingly beautiful, words do not do justice. And just as sweet and kind to everyone as you can imagine. And I will forever have my platform shoes with his signature!!!


Was there any aspect of his face and look up close that surprised you or seemed different after all this time shooting him?
Just more perfect than I could ever have imagined.


Did you want to get out your camera and work without restrictions?

Yes, I did! But they wouldn’t let us!


Is there anything you didn’t get to say to him that you would like him to know and say now?

Just my appreciation for being the kind of person he is. And his commitment to the kids who are “different”. I am truly grateful that he has championed public education.

Most people have no idea how much of their own money teachers spend
on classroom supplies. All of my donations to DonorsChoose.org have funded musical instruments. My love of music started through the generosity of others when I was in elementary school – so I am happy to pay it back and forward.


Thanks to Sethshomaru for the tip!

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful interesting reading. Thanks so much for posting it! I consider myself lucky to have met this unassuming special woman in Costa Mesa this summer! Adamluv

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the right way to the top of Universe, Master ANGEL SUZ526!!!! Sweet Adam is his own guide, holding himself the very light... while we Glamberts hold our breath! Just a few more steps up and ahead! Go! Go! Go! Go!
Fan4fun

Anonymous said...

Like so many others I've benefited from the good shots Suze has made available. I love the dedication and the enthusiasm. Glad to meet one of the first members of the glamily.

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful interview, somewhat confusing to me. My misconception that Suz 526 was the same as Sue who along with others run the Adam Lambert Official Unofficial Site. At least I think that's how it all works. Guess I have been thanking the wrong Sue/Suz for the videos. BTW, you have no idea how good you are. Looking at the vids from Japan this am, and got to love the people that took them, but.... Thank you for your hard work on behalf of myself and I am sure many, many others.

Anonymous said...

So interesting know how Suz produces these excellent videos and what inspired her to take them. She's given joy to so many of us and to those unable to see Adam live, immeasurable access to Adam. He is entertainment history in the making and I think will expand boundaries and put a new positive perspective on rock entertainers. Suz captures that positive spirit so well. Thanks Suz, don't know what we would do without you! Excellent interview of a first class videographer!! funbunn40

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Suz526 - your films have meant everything this Summer for those of us who could not travel from city to city. Seeing him live, just once, thought that would be enough but ....it wasn't!! I just wanted more and more and you made that possible. Your description of meeting him was so sweet!!

coloforadam

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this wonderful interview of this top videographer...Her video's gave me a lot of happiness... Especially before I was able to see Adam Lambert live myself... has she been on the radioshow of the 'on the meaning of Adam Lambert' ?

nancdruuu2 said...

Thank you so much SUZ526 for your beautiful vids. Your interview was so very interesting, especially the part about meeting Adam! I never really cared that much about being on the internet until I saw your vids of Adam Lambert. It changed my life and made me realize I had to go see Adam in person. I guess you could say the rest is history. Thanks again for being so generous with your time and talent!

judysdancin said...

I love love love this interview. We finally get to know something about this angel that has brought us all of the Adam videos. Thank you so much Suz526!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Suz is a truly remarkable women. She is so kind, thoughtful, sweet and so deserving of our heartfelt thanks and more. I believe you get back what you give. Suz will be blessed in so many ways. I was lucky enough to attend 2 concerts, but thanks to Suz I feel like I went to almost all of them.

laurie b said...

SUZ526, I live in Ontario Canada. I am one of those people who dont have the means to go to an Adam Lambert concert..the internet is the only way that I can follow him..my hope is to go to a concert one day..but until then I rely on the generosity of those, like yourself, that want the world to enjoy this most wonderful, talented man who has forever, changed the course of my life. Thank-you so much

Anonymous said...

Suz Just wanna say thank you x

Anonymous said...

Thank you Suz you are an inspiration. I have lived the Us Glamnation tour thru your wonderful work. Cant wait for our turn to come, the countdown is on. Jan NZ.

Urethra_Franklin said...

Suz works?? When??? lol

Anonymous said...

So cool. Too much to say, so will just say thanks to FHS for interview & thanks Suz. AL attracts great people, to his credit, very noteworthy IMHO.
MGF

Anonymous said...

Can't thank you enough for all your hard work in bringing the concert to us <3 Lots of love and appreciation!
Awesome interview (: loved it!

I can say I've been to 74 shows in spirit (aka YouTube Vids, North America + Singapore + Japan) and one in person! Wooh Adam <3 Love him so much!

Thanks to 24/7 for putting it up all in one place and all who share (: <3 LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

The Summer Of Adam was made possible by you!!! Heart felt thanks for making it happen. You brought all of us so much joy and pleasure!!! I hope to have the good fortune to meet you some day. Any chance you are going to Paris?? Be Happy and Well!!

Anonymous said...

Suz526 -- I have only attended the St. Jean (Montreal) show (but what a show it was!). Many thx for capturing that special night on film for all of us who were there and others who couldn't be. Through your lens, we can all relive that magical concert.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making the Summer Of Adam Happen!! You brought so much joy and happiness into all our lives. The work and dedication you put into making these videos is amazing!! I hope I have the good fortune to meet you some day. Any chance you are going to Paris? If so I will be looking for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Re my last post (3:49 PM). After posting it, I had a question mark on whether or not Suz526 had attended the Montreal show. So I returned to Youtube and must apologize to AddictedtoAdam and Alreference whose videos I was thinking of. But I DID view so many incredible vids by Suz526 throughout the GNT and thank her and all others who send us wonderful images of Adam.

GlammyLadybug said...

Another wonderful Glambert lady! Hmm, isn’t she, by any chance, over 30? Any bad-mouthing from our young, beautiful and, no doubt, perfect boys ..and girls? Shall we call her groupie or cougar? She’s a catamount all right. Our ‘female Educator’ from San Diego… I’m so happy that she ‘answered’ my ‘complaints’ about excessive/exclusive focusing on Adam while losing the rest of the show. :-)
Didn’t I say we should have raised money for Suz526 to follow GNT around the world? She would deserve such a reward from all of us. In her own words: she has ‘a job that allows [her] to travel and work from the road’. I love (and dream of) this type of job. Travelling Educator? I found this on WWW but didn’t quite get it!? Well, let’s find some work for her to do ..abroad! I’m deadly serious about this! We can do this through PayPal or something. At least one show overseas, at her choice. Glamberts are so good at making gifts like that! GLb

Anonymous said...

GRACIAS, GRACIAS............ SUZ
Por dar tanta alegria y amor a los fans de Adam
a travéz de tus excelentes videos. Eres una
persona muy especial,con una gran humanidad
al compartir con nosotros tu tiempo y Talento
y con esto, haces una labor hermosa de unir a
muchas personas por medio de la música y el
amor a ADAM.

Muy AGRADECIDA...por ser una fans latina, por
tus videos pude seguir el maravilloso TOUR

GRACIAS por esta bella e interesante entrevista.

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed reading this..very interesting..i hope Suz knows how much we have really appreciated all her hard work this summer... thankyou Suz, very much...

chezza-sherbert/brit fan :D xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great interview on SUZ. I was also amazed how thin Adam was as well when I met him many times. He has an energy about him that you sense is really from out of this world. So kind, sweet but a very powerful presence as well. I love the fans that assist SUZ... we so appreciate you. SUZ you should wear a special badge so people know who you are and will be kind and help you get your videos. You are a treasure to us all and who ever said that about the poor videos from abroad is dead on. You have a steady hand and that is not easy with so many fans bumping into you. God bless you and I hope you can do some international concerts as well. Lots of love to you!

glitzylady said...

In reference to 5:18pm re Suz wearing a special badge...she likes to remain faceless and anonymous when she is at the concerts...it just makes her experience easier when she is not recognized.... : )

Anonymous said...

Adam Lambert is my drug and SUZ526 is my pusher. :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

xoxo, Oh yea! GLB, yes, she's over 30! Thanks for the comment! Adamluv

Anonymous said...

Suz526 - your videos are the salve to all our Adam-anguish we suffer when we are not able to see him live, or perhaps only see him once. Thank you - your work is our salvation! You do your job beautifully.

- Adam Fix

Suz526 said...

Thank you all for the beautiful comments - who wouldn't keep doing this if they were surrounded by beautiful people like you? You always put a smile on my face!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Suz526 because I've been all the summer watching the videos of Adam Lambert's concerts although I'm sooo far (in Spain)so for me it was incredible to watch the night before concert (and in such a good image and audio). thanks a lot.

Naike

Anonymous said...

She sounds like the doll I imagined she was! All 3 of my GLAM concerts did not have Suz there and the vids are OK but just not up to her talent. I wish there was a way we could donate to her to help fund these Adam filming ventures.

Suz keeps the Adam flame burning because the vids are addicting to watch! I bought additional tickets to other venues to see Adam after I followed the Glam Nation tour thru Suz's vids.

Suz deserves good seats compliments of RCA imo. I have no doubt that she played a part in the Glam tour excitement this summer. I am so happy she met Adam.

glitzylady said...

Hi Suz, thanks for being there for all of us, and stopping by here to say hi to us...You truly are the best!

Anonymous said...

Adam Fix said it best for me and what is in my heart. Suz, we all love you so much......it's beyond words.

GlammyLadybug, I agree with you 100% too. The person who organized raising money and getting Isabel to the Fantasy Springs concert did that through youtube. I have no idea how....but maybe some on here know or can start a fund?

:)
Sweetie

Anonymous said...

Greetings, all the GOOD PEOPLE on this site - and SPECIAL GREETINGS to Suz/@ ROL526 - YAY, finally I’m able to see your UPDATED version of Rolando's GlamNation Tour Recap (Director's Cut) THANK U, THANK, THANK U!!!!

To Eva and possible other Adam lovers, who were not able to see Suz’s Recap video before, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVtXqN7Fvx0&feature=player_embedded

Dear Suz, I’m sure I can’t add anything that hasn’t been said before, but I still want to send you all the Glitter and Glam the Universe has to offer!!! Your videos have meant most probably even more to those (non-US) Adam fans, who have so far had no chance in seeing him perform LIVE! You are a TRUE GEM!!!

Lovingly
GGD Gal

Anonymous said...

@Sweetie I'm thinking more of a Neil-Delilah-like channel :-). GLb

Anonymous said...

Suz, I also want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your attention to detail, your desire to let us into that window into the Glam Nation Tour that is our Rock God Adam. You too, are our videographer extraordinaire, Rock God Suz. Some day I would love to hear more of your interaction with Adam like what did he say about your videos? Thank you also for always answering not only my questions about your camera etc, but you took the time to answer or respond to so many others. I think that is just remarkable.

Always a fan,
daydreaminmylif

Anonymous said...

Hi Suz!!! What a treat - the lady herself read our posts! Look at this well-deserved, out pouring of love and appreciation for what you do so well.

My question - how do you keep your hand so steady? I have been watching videos by others and they just do not compare (and I am NOT complaining...I'll take Adam any way I can get him!). When I saw him live, I was litterally shaking. I could not even dance...all I could do was stand there and stare, with my mouth agape.

So again, our profound thanks to you, not only for the quantity of videos you've brought us, but the quality!

(...wow, would y'all just die if Adam popped on this site from time-to-time and read our comments? ha, ha - fat chance - but I was pleasantly surprised to see Suz, herself, on here!...just dreaming...)

- Adam Fix

Anonymous said...

Thank you Suz for all the hard work & dedication you have shown. Adam is truly inspirational to all of us in different ways. Don't know much about photography or videography, but I do know Adam is a an amazing human being & an incredible man with a beautiful gift! Fantasy Springs WLL, well, that was truly an epic performance. I think it changed everything in music, I know for me it did.

Anonymous said...

I ditto the comment "Adam is my drug and Suz526 is my pusher". I went to two concerts. I knew she was in San Fran so I relaxed, but Houston was a good surprise. But no meeting. She will sweetly converse via youtube which is much appreciated. It is another surprise of Adam fandom to see people out there sharing and being so cool. I always tell her that she has her own fans because of this. And I love Fifth House Sun's insights and this interview!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Suz..your vids are a drug for me! Are you in SD?