Skinpress Demo Rss

Adam Lambert hopes Grammy nom will help fade show's stigma

Filed Under ( ) by Admin on Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Posted at : Tuesday, December 07, 2010

"American Idol" Season 8 runner-up Adam Lambert was recently nominated for a Grammy for best male pop performance for his smash hit song "Whataya Want From Me."

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Lambert discusses how he hopes the nomination will give contestants who break into the industry though a competition show more credit.

"In addition to the writers and producers of the track, I hope that at this point, after all the hard work I've done over the past year, the nomination will give me credibility as a true vocalist in the industry, and perhaps help fade some of the stigma that comes from rising to fame on a competition show," he says.

Lambert also says that while "Idol" gave him the opportunity and tools to break out, the show doesn't deserve all of the credit. "I believe 'American Idol' is a dream platform for any artist. It did not however, teach me how to sing or perform. I made music for years prior to the show but knew that most major labels wouldn't be interested in me as a mainstream pop artist unless I could develop a legitimate fan base and prove that I had talent," he says.

"'Idol' gave me these opportunities. But I feel I earned my current success by preparing and executing a variety of strong performances every week on the show and being comfortable being different."

How did Lambert find out that his song, which was originally intended for Pink, was nominated? "I was awoken by my manager in the morning while in Paris. Much more effective than my usual cup of coffee to wake me up," he says. "I was so excited! After our call, I saw that a bunch of friends and family had texted and written emails."


SOURCE

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Grammy nomination is well deserved! All the hard years of work is paying off for him. I think a Grammy performance would send ratings through the roof!

Anonymous said...

Hard work pays off! Adam deserves this Grammy Nomination and a win!!! Grammy ratings could be high if he performs and win over new fans as well!

Anonymous said...

OT but my calendars just arrived!!!!!! So happy. Adamluv

Anonymous said...

Adamluv,Lucky You! and please can you kiss October for me:(
Glambrit IOW UK

Anonymous said...

«...being comfortable being different»...

That's is no doubt one of the best of sweet Adam's talents. It permits him to create a new style and many ways to perform a same song. In a way, this «difference» is turning into a trade mark for his stardom, besides a real delight, a good gift for his fandom. Way to go, Diamond Boy!
What are you giving to us next?

Fan4fun

Anonymous said...

What Idols stigma? Didn't multiple Grammy award winner Carrie Underwood come from Idols?

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is an Idol's stigma either. It's just that of those contestants, many are just not as talented as the current pop stars.
Adam and Carrie are.

Anonymous said...

Grammy award winners from idol include Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood as well as finalist Jennifer Hudson.

Here is an interview with Adam and Kris that I have never seen before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t660m9rqEzQ&feature=player_embedded

daydreamin

Anonymous said...

To anon 6:40 -- The "Idols stigma" that keeps Adam's music off U.K. radio. Not an issue for Carrie, who is virtually unknown outside the U.S.

Anonymous said...

Adam doesn't like Carrie. It showed in the last Grammy awards when Adam was the red carpet correspondent. I agreed with Adam though that Pinks dress was the best. Maybe Pink will perform in the Grammy awards. She could sing the original version of WWFM. The acoustic version just won't do.

Rebecca said...

this nomination is well deserved

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately there is a stigma to AI in some quarters. Maybe not in country where Carrie Underwood has found success. Glambrit, will definitely kiss Oct. for you - that is a hot picture. Also totally love July (my birthday month) plus mostly all of them! Bought one for a friend of mine who loves Adam but doesnt go to any sites so doesnt even know this exists. She will die when she opens it! So as to not feel left out, I bought her sister a calendar too - one of doggies and cats! LOL! Adamluv

Anonymous said...

There are so AI stigma. I am so sick itune giving me all the AI album recommendation because I purchased Adam Lambert. And UK radio won't play AI music while there is X-factor. That makes perfect sense.

Adam Lambert is a worldwide super star. I hope no media will ever quot "AI runner up" in any of his articles.

6:59 is damn right. Carrie might be a star in US and only in US. This is not the same scenario.

Anonymous said...

When will the Grammy show air?

Anonymous said...

"To get a call from his manager of the Grammy nom was much more effective than his usual cup of coffee to wake him up"... no kidding Adam‼ :)) It's a huge acknowledgement from the music industry even though we all know it what you're all about‼ You are so deserving of this nom even much better if you win it because of your enormous & wonderful talents‼ :)

Anonymous said...

Adam really didn't look like he was interested in what Carrie Underwood had to say on the Grammy red carpet and I don't blame him. He will be the most famous Idol contestant worldwide. The man can sing!!!

Anonymous said...

Adam is so damn articulate, and handles himself with sooo much grace, all the time. And he is really rockin' that olive green wool coat he's been wearing all over Paris. I'm betting it's designer... anyone have an idea?

Anonymous said...

Anon; the grammy award show is some time in Feb. Adamluv

Anonymous said...

Adam deserves the nomination and win. There is no other artist alive that compares to him in singing or performing. Luv you Adam.

Anonymous said...

Grammy's are Feb 13th.

daydreamin

Anonymous said...

Well ... ADAM isn't doing too well on the Grammy poll.. MJ keeps increasing & no matter how much I vote ADAM stays the same. Why aren't his numbers increasing? Vote .. delete cookies .. refresh .. vote again ... still same numbers ... please come & help!!

tess4ADAM

Anonymous said...

Anon @ 9:25 My guess is Burberry!

Anonymous said...

MJ is dead so I don't think he should be giving the Grammy for best pop male vocal. Adam has proved he can sing with the best of them and deserve the Grammy.