Skinpress Demo Rss

8 'Ring of Fire' Covers Ranked: From Alan Jackson to Frank Zappa, From Blondie to Adam Lambert!

Filed Under () by Adam Lambert on Friday, October 24, 2014

Posted at : Friday, October 24, 2014

Adam part:

01) Adam Lambert off American Idol (2009)
This version of Cash's classic shocked audiences and confused judges during Lambert's 2009 run on American Idol, a show where contestants more often than not simply spit back nearly identical versions of the hit songs they're performing. Lambert performed the track for the "Grand Ole Opry" episode and made his version decidedly not Nashville. "Ring Of Fire" has a certain international feel thanks to its Mexican horns, and Lambert's cover maintains the foreign essence while changing the culture completely. He adopts an oud as his backing track and performs his vocals accordingly. A cover that's totally respectful and yet totally unique to its origins. You can tell it's great because of these introspects from the judges who we've learned to distrust: "It was strange...it left me confused." -Kara DioGuardi..."I thought it was absolute indulgent rubbish." -Simon Cowell..."If Nine Inch Nails did a country song..." -Randy Jackson.

Plus video.

Read more:

4 comments:

Lam-My said...

Yea, as I recall... after hearing Adam sing Ring of Fire, I actually exclaimed, Whoa! Then when Simon said it was indulgent rubbish...my heart sank and my brain questioned, it can't be ! But by then I had trusted Simon's critiques and so contented with perhaps I was not so atuned as this was the first time I heard the song and had nothing to fall back on. It was when Adam sang it at the Grand Ole Opry...I realised I was quite on track because the audience gave him a standing ovation with thunderous applause. lwl!

glitzylady said...

@Lam-my
That certainly WOULD have been ironic!!!

He sang it at Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ol' Opry (until 1974).., which is just so fabulous! I'm guessing if he sang it AT the Grand Ol' Opry's present location in Opryland USA in the Opry House, there would have been some shocked faces!!!! And some dropped jaws :))))

Lam-My said...

Glitzylady.....Yes it was at the Ryman Auditorium as I heard it, beautiful acoustics and Adam's last note was Whoa! better than on AI.

Vagrant said...

What????