Skinpress Demo Rss

Adam Lambert's Interview with POPDUST

Filed Under ( ) by Admin on Friday, April 20, 2012

Posted at : Friday, April 20, 2012

POPDUST: Complete this sentence: Listening to my new album will make people feel ___:
ADAM LAMBERT: Well, depending on what part of the album they’re listening to, it will either make them feel fierce and liberated, or kind of sad—in a cathartic, commiserating way.

What’s the meaning behind the album title?
“Trespassing” is one of the tracks that I co-wrote with Pharrell Williams, and after we finished it I realized it was basically a mission statement for what I’m about right now, as an artist, a musician and a person. It’s about breaking down barriers and rebelliously marching forward.

What activity should people engage in while listening to Trespassing?
The first half of the album is pretty up-beat and dance-oriented so I picture people out at parties, or maybe on the treadmill or driving. The second half of the album gets much darker and more emotional, so I can see people sitting quietly and thinking to it.

Who were you listening to while making the record?
I’m always listening to what’s current—Top 40 for the most part. One of the things we explored on this album was a funkier sensibility. I was really diving into Prince and Rufus and Michael Jackson, some of his earlier stuff, and then [into] kind of a ’90s world [with] George Michael and later Michael Jackson. There’s a little Nine Inch Nails energy in there, too.

How many times have you listened to your own album?
You don’t want to know. You don’t want to know. [Laughs] When I get involved in the project, I’m in and down the rabbit hole. I’ve been quite obsessed.

Are there any songs that your exes will think are about them?
Probably. [Laughs.]

Do you have a favorite lyric from the record?
There’s a lyric in “Underneath” that goes: “Welcome to my world of truth / I don’t want to hide anything from you.” It’s pretty straight ahead but that sums up the darker material: it’s very revealing. And then “Trespassing” has a lot of lyrics like, “Make their faces crack / There’s no turning back.” I think that’s part of that mission statement; I’m hear to open your mind and open your eyes.

How much of the album is auto-tuned?
I only use it here and there to enhance. I definitely don’t use it as much as some people.

Do you have a favorite button on the mixing board?
I don’t know what the buttons do! [Laughs] But I like delay on my vocals, I like when vocals are echoey.

What song from the album should we use as our go-to karaoke song?
I think “Never Close Our Eyes” is going to be a great karaoke song. That’s karaoke gold right there.

Do you have a favorite karaoke song?
When I used to go to karaoke I used to sing “Tell Me Something Good” by Rufus. I used to love singing that song. The other one I would do is “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt. And “Open Arms” by Journey, of course.

While you were recording, how many times did you hear people mention Adele?
When I was working on this album she was tearing up the charts and it was kind of like, “Well, that’s the exception to the rule.” [But] there is no rule, and she taught everybody that. People in the industry always want to predict the trends, predict what’s going to work or not work, and tell you what you have to do. She relied on a great song and a great voice, so there you go.

Is there a “Someone Like You” among the tracks?
There’s probably something on there for a good cry. “Underneath” has pretty powerful lyrics, and “Outlaws of Love” as well.

So you’re in favor of a good cry?
Yeah, I love a good cry.



READ THE FULL INTERVIEW OVER AT POPDUST HERE!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much do we love Adam Lambert? There are no words - he's simply the best!
Forever Fan,
nancdruuu2

Anonymous said...

Adam is awesome. Always a pleasure to read or hear his interviews.

Simply the best is putting it Perfectly.

Anonymous said...

I just so love ADAM. Can't find fault at all with this almost perfect creature.

Anonymous said...

I read where he said that several of the songs are connected to Sauli..and he said that he had finally found true love, and that Sauli feels the same about him..I almost cried reading this..I mean, can you even imagine our Adam having trouble with finding someone who would love him??? My heart ached for that loneliness he must have felt..but coming back to reality in the present, I am so glad and thankful that his true love finally did come along..may he and Sauli be forever happy and in love...

Anonymous said...

Adam did a Interview in MARCH and he mentioned a purfume he likes and wears, and it smells really good. He says it comes in a little black bottle with a octopus on it. I had it written down and misplaced it, or thru it away. I would really want to know. I would like to get some. Can Any one help out here. I appreciater your cooperation. Tihican something? I think?

Anonymous said...

11.29

Tokio Milk #8.If I'm not mistaken...

It cost about 18$.

SG

Anonymous said...

Thank you ever so much. You did you act of kindness for the day.
Have you tried it yet?

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it for $18.00?

Anonymous said...

love this interview and left a comment on the article too.

Anonymous said...

Love this man! He always speaks from the heart, that's what i love about him. I've been married for 19 years and will have to confess, this man makes my heat flutter!

Anonymous said...

TokyoMilk # 8 runs about $36 unless they offer a smaller bottle...

Anonymous said...

anyone tried Toykio Milk? Would love to know? What you think?

Anonymous said...

I love the way Adam speak about the lyrics of his songs.He's really proud of them.Is so refreshing to hear songs that not only have a really good melody but also tells you something,makes you think, have a message.That is a refletion of who he is.That's also the reason all that songs are sooo good, cause they talk about live, about feeling we all have had, one time or another. That's also why I always love his interviews.

SG

glitzylady said...

@Anon 1:36 PM
I just "happen" to have TOKYOMILK/ DARK.. EXCESS ..A friend sent me a link to an Amazon.com listing for it..so I said "What the heck"!! The small, black, elegant 1.6 fl oz. bottle with the upside down Octopus and the #28 on it..lists the ingredients/scents as Amber Resin, Oak Bark, Blood Orange, and Patchouli. It is a masculine scent but a woman could wear it as well. I told my husband I got it for him ; )))))))) I REALLY like it......of course...and I also got a tube of body creme for good measure....And yes, it was about $36 per item...not including shipping from the stores that it came from..

Anonymous said...

@Glitzylady

Is that the one you have?
http://www.tokyo-milk.com/products/excess-no-28-parfum.

There are many! but I think that's the good one.

Adam should really ask for money to all the produts that he endorse.;)
SG

Anonymous said...

@ Glitzylady,

Oh! No! Make sure when your husband use the perfume don't call him Adam???? :)))

Shoot my imagination indeed!!!! YAY!!!

Canadian

Anonymous said...

I think "kickin in" has that George Michael vibe going. Both great vocalists of their time, but with similar/different vibes.

Anonymous said...

I think "kickin in" has that George Michael vibe going. Both great vocalists of their time, but with similar/different vibes.

Anonymous said...

Canadian

I thought the same;)))

SG

glitzylady said...

@SG
Yes, that's the one!..I also have the Shea Butter creme...Nice!

@Canadian
That would be awkward to be sure...I'll have to be careful

Anonymous said...

Oh Adam.......simply the best!

Anonymous said...

@glitzylady thanks for that toyoko link- just bought for hubby's birthday! Can't mention however that adam wears it because I still cannot really mention his name too much around him. Crazy and sad but I'm hoping this new album trespassing turns him into a fan! I'll sneak and play it full blast on our bows system when I get it and not tell him who it is at first!

I envy you glamberts that have husbands that love him also- it's hard for me,that's why I come here.

brownie

Anonymous said...

@ brownie..........JAK here

I'm with you...wish I could mention Adam to my husband without the eyerolling and grim lips. This is a complete puzzle to me. In the 57 years I've known my guy there has been nothing we couldn't discuss, even if we disagreed...but Adam is off limits???? I just don't get it. When I was in my first state of euphoria right after (and during) Idol and talked about him non-stop I could understand him getting fed up with my over enthusiasm, but then we made a deal. I could tell him one tidbit about Adam a day if I kept it to that one thing.....then I noticed the grim expression so I quit talking about him at all. This site was my salvation, I could share with fellow addicts. Still it puzzles me that my husband doesn't want to hear anything about him. A great mystery in my life. Very strange.

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky. My husband really likes Adam and is going with me to the show in Chicago on May 18. He also went with me and my sister to a GNT show. I don't talk non-stop about Adam, but I spend some time each day on the fansites. My husband just leaves me alone and does his own thing. Every now and then, I'll tell him something Adam-related, and he's always interested. I never get an eye-roll, thank God.

DRG

Anonymous said...

@DRG.......JAK here....You are lucky! :)))

Anonymous said...

My husband thanks Adam profusely!! And often! ;)

HK fan said...

@brownie
my husband is the same, it seems the more I got to like Adam the less he did, (he liked him on idol). But hopefully we will be going to see Adam with Queen, he was totally up for going to that, as he's always loved queen and their music. So I'm hoping that seeing him live will at least get him to understand a little bit of what I see in him...

Jadam NZ said...

Brownie. HK Fan and JAK, my situation is the same with my husband, we have been married forever and like JAK I talked about Adam to saturation point after Idol etc. Then I had to cut it right back for ages now are able to mentiom the odd thing. I know what you mean about the grim lips. He loves to tell me he never hears te single on the radio amymore blah, blah, etc. I keep thinking my day will come.
This time fellow fans this time.

Scott Twilights said...

You may have two or even three interviews and they may be of different types. Please answer all the questions with utmost sincerity and without any bias. We have seen the markets both plunge and surge by 5 percent on a day by day basis.